Measles cases are on the rise in the UK. Make sure you know what symptoms to look out for and how to protect yourself

See a Doctor or Healthcare Professional

Who should I See?

Please consider what the best options for your healthcare are, based on the urgency of your condition and nature of your ailment. General Practice work in conjunction with other Primary Care providers such as Opticians and Pharmacists, who can deliver advice and treatment within the Community, so make sure you get to see the right person, at the right time, in the right place.

This may save you time in getting the help you need, and avoid arranging an unnecessary appointment with your Doctor.

Have you tried self-care?
man and woman looking at a computer.

A range of common illnesses such as cold and flu and minor injuries can be treated at home simply by combining a well-stocked medicine cabinet with plenty of rest. Many patients attend with conditions that would get better with self-care. Studies show that 25-40% of consultations with a GP are unnecessary so it would help if patients only booked an appointment with a GP if they really need to.

Examples of the ailments best treated by yourself are:

  • Upset stomach
  • Grazed knee
  • Common cold
  • Sore throat
  • Headache
  • Colds & Flu

There are a wide variety of helpful Self Care information and resources available which could help you to treat your illness without the need for an appointment:

Self Care Forum

The Self Care Forum is a charity which aims to further the reach of self care and embed it into everyday life.  Self Care is the actions that individuals take for themselves, on behalf of and with others in order to develop, protect, maintain and improve their health, wellbeing or wellness.

Self-Referral Services – No need to see a GP or Nurse you can refer yourself!
smiling woman

We have provided our patients with a list of services that you can self-refer to without the need to see a GP or Nurse. You can normally self-refer by phone, attend a drop in clinic or by completing a self-referral form which you can send via email or post to the service of your choice.

Get immediate help from your local Pharmacy

Visit a Pharmacy for healthcare advice without an appointment

Pharmacist at the counter.

It is estimated that every year, 50 million visits to the GP are made for minor ailments such as coughs and colds, mild eczema, and athlete’s foot. By visiting your pharmacy instead, you could save yourself time and trouble.

Your local Pharmacist is able to help with minor cuts, sprains, aches and pains, colds and flu, headaches, rashes, cystitis, emergency contraceptive (most Pharmacies now offer this service) and other common conditions.

No appointment is necessary and your local Pharmacist is usually open late, is available at weekends and many public holidays. It will also save you making an appointment with your GP.

Over the Counter Medicines

A GP, nurse or pharmacist will generally not give you a prescription for over-the-counter (OTC) medicines for a range of minor health conditions.

New Medicine Service

The New Medicine Service is available at Pharmacies to give you extra help and advice if you’re just starting on a new medicine for one of the following conditions:

  • asthma
  • chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  • type 2 diabetes
  • high blood pressure
  • people who have been given a new blood-thinning medicine

More about the New Medicine Service.

Treat Yourself Better

We support the campaign to encourage people to self-treat minor ailments such as colds and flu. The Treat Yourself Better Without Antibiotics website is full of information to help people understand when how long they can expect their symptoms to last for, when they need to see a doctor and when they would be better off visiting their local pharmacist for advice. 

Eye Problems?
Optician examining a patient

Whatever your eye problem your first port of call should be an optometrist. An optometrist is the best person to assess urgent eye problems, check for eye disorders and treat eye conditions. They have the professional training and necessary equipment to assess most eye problems.

In Oxfordshire we also have available MECS – Minor Eye Conditions Services.

The service provides assessment and treatment for people with recently occurring minor eye conditions.

Provided by MECS accredited optometrists (also known as opticians) across Oxfordshire who have specialist knowledge, equipment, training and skills. Please click on the link below to find out more.

Minor Eye Conditions Service – Oxfordshire LOC

If your optician is closed and you can’t wait until it reopens call 111

If you sustain an eye injury that requires immediate emergency treatment go to your nearest Accident and Emergency.

Dental Emergency?
Dentist with his patient

For dental emergencies, call the dentist with whom you are registered. You should receive a recorded message advising you of the arrangements that have been made for emergency cover. If you have not registered with a dentist, please try to do so as soon as possible. Dentist’s can perform an appropriate assessment and advise on necessary intervention including use of any antibiotics.

If you require emergency treatment, you should contact NHS 111

Dental emergencies are: acute dental pain, facial or oral swelling, bleeding from the mouth or trauma.

For further advice and help about your dental problem:

Oxfordshire Out Of Hours Emergency Dental Service
Telephone: 0845 3458995
Address: Manzil Way, Cowley, Oxfordshire, OX4 1XD

Do you need Social Care & Support?
Mother and child reading

If you or someone you know needs help with day-to-day living because of illness or disability, this website explains your options and where you can get support.

Need to speak with someone when the surgery is closed?

Call 111

Call handler at call centre

Call 111 when we are closed to speak to an NHS professional on any urgent health or medical issue.

Calls are free from landlines and mobiles.

Urgent Care Centre

Urgent treatment centres are a facility you can go to if you need urgent medical attention, but it’s not a life-threatening situation. 

At the moment, the NHS offers a mix of walk-in centres, urgent care centres, minor injury units and urgent treatment centres, all with different levels of service.

If you have an emergency please call 999

Medical emergencies can include:

Mental Health Crisis?

You should call 999 or go to A&E if you, or someone you know, experiences a life-threatening medical or mental health emergency. These are cases where there is immediate danger to life or physical injury. A mental health emergency should be taken as seriously as a medical emergency. If you feel like you may be close to acting on suicidal thoughts or have seriously harmed yourself, you should call 999 or go to A&E directly if you need immediate help and are worried about your safety.

It’s important to use A&E only for serious injuries and major emergencies.

Get immediate help for Minor Injuries
Doctor dressing patients hand

Many patients go to Accident and Emergency Departments (A&E) when they could be treated just as well, and probably quicker, at a Minor Injuries Unit (MIU). X-Ray facilities are available at the Minor Injury Units at certain times. You don’t need an appointment to visit a Minor Injuries Unit.  They are run by a highly qualified team of nurse practitioners, who have a lot of experience and expertise in the treatment of minor injuries. You can also phone NHS 111 to seek advice and/or pre-book an appointment with one of the Minor Injury Units. What can MIUs treat?

  • Sprains and strains
  • Minor head injuries
  • Broken bones
  • Insect and animal bites
  • Traumatic wound infections
  • Minor eye injuries
  • Minor burns and scalds
  • Injuries to the back, shoulder & chest

Our local Minor Injury Units are:

  • Henley – Townlands Hospital – telephone 01865 903755
  • Thatcham – West Berkshire Community Hospital – telephone 01635 273508
  • Abingdon – Abingdon Community Hospital – telephone 01865 903476

To be certain of their opening hours, it is wise to check online or call before you visit. See our website for further details about MIUs in our locality. There is also a First Aid Unit (FAU) at Wallingford Community Hospital (but no X-Ray facilities).  Please call ahead of visiting to ensure it is open and to check it is the most appropriate place to attend in light of your injury or medical problem – 01865 903471.

Arrange an appointment with one of our Nursing team
British nurse taking senior man's blood pressure

Nursing Appointments:

We have a team of 5 highly trained and experienced Practice Nurses who are trained in a wide range of clinical areas including: Minor illness management, childhood immunisations, travel immunisations, health promotion, dressings, Doppler studies, smear tests, contraception, including coil and implant counselling, and management of long term conditions e.g. asthma, diabetes, COPD.

HCA Appointments:

Our healthcare assistants are trained to carry out a wide range of medical procedures including blood tests, blood pressure monitoring, spirometry, ECGs and weight management advice. They are also involved in NHS health checks and diabetic checks.

Phlebotomist Appointments:

Our Phlebotomist carries out all routine blood testing and is involved in diabetic checks.

Need medical advice or treatment from one of our doctors?
Doctor and little girl

Some patients, often those with complex and long-standing medical problems, may need an appointment with a doctor.